Saturday, July 7, 2012

Street Puppies

 Here is a great shot of all four puppies.  It is very rare that they are all sitting at the same time.  There used to be five...
An the left is Alpha, then Nimba, Whiskey and on the right is the injured girl Spritey.

Because Spritey was so weak I bought a bag of puppy food and a bowl in hopes that she gets some nourishment and can get stronger.  She hardly puts any weight on her left front leg. When I bought the food and one bowl I do not know what I was thinking because all the others have really good noses for food. The three others usually hung around together and she was separate.  Well I gave her the bowl of food and we got bombarded by the other dogs.  I have no idea who got the most of that meal! 
Today I went to buy four plastic storage containers so I can prepare four bowls of dog food at home and all I have to do when I see them is remove the lids.  I need to place the bowls down as fast as I can so they each get their share. It's fun. Priya, a woman I met in Yoga is a street dog lover also.  She came with me and helped me feed them.  We will deworm them next week as Priya has had experience with helping dogs. 
I just hope that I am not hurting the dogs by taking care of them now.  Will they be OK when I leave? 

 Spritey has the injured left front knee.  It is swollen around the knee, she has a bad limp.  I am very happy as I have seen her out and about the last two days and she is acting a bit more lively and can get around faster than she had.






Whiskey- the golden one. This is the best shot I have of her.  Neither she or Alpha are injured as far as I can tell. She sits well and gets to enjoy lots of biscuits.  She beats up on Spritey - I guess she is the dominant female and likes to pick on the weaker ones.  All I can do is raise my voice to stop Whiskey from attacking Spritey as I don't want to get bitten.

 This is Nimba. He has a injured back leg and it is hard for him to sit, but he gets around OK. He is the most aloof of them all but will not pass on biscuits or food 

On the right Spritey is licking her lips after a good meal! She is saying Thanks Sue!
 




I called this one Alpha as he is the strongest of them all, usually at the head of the pack and runs the fastest when he sees me. He is a good boy and also sits well.




I like the photo  below as you can tell a bit about their personalities, how Nimba is mellow while Alpha is alert and ready to go.


2 comments:

  1. You are so good Sue! You can train and care for any dog, anywhere. Do you seem to be the only one feeding them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good question Cheryl! I don't think I am the only one feeding them but maybe the only one feeding them with nutritious food. They are definitely gaining weight. My next training trick will be to have them sit AND stay before they eat their dog food. I have individual bowls for them but as soon as I put one down, they all attack it. Cannot determine who gets what, but they are happy just the same. Making four puppies stay at once will be very challenging and don't know if I have the energy or patience.

    ReplyDelete